St Marys Century Houses Home Page

Jones Street East

Church St   Jones St     King St   Ontario St   Peel St   Queen St East Queen St West Robinson St Thomas St   Water St   Wellington St Widder St

217 Jones Street East
This italiate style house was built about 1875 for Hatty and Clarence Freeman by the London, Ontario firm of James Robinson.   Hatty was the daughter of grain merchant George Carter (#224 Jones St) and Freeman was made secretary/treasure of Carter's firm.

217 Jones Street, St Marys, Ontario

218 Jones Street East
This tudor revival house was built in 1914 by the London, Ontario firm of Watt and Blackwell.

224 Jones Street East
Built in 1869 for George Carter.   Carter established his grain business in St Marys in 1857 and later opened branches in Stratford, Mitchell, Granton and Ailsa Craig.   In 1884 bought the St Marys Mill.   He died in 1889.

218 Jones Street, St Marys, Ontario

236 Jones Street East
George Carter gave this Second Empire style house as a wedding present to his daughter Charlotte.   Son-in-law Henry Lincoln Rice son of the Methodist minister became vice-president of Carter's firm.

St Marys physician and public speaker Thomas Sparks moved to the house in 1905.   He named it Ercildoune after his birthplace in Scotland.

When Dr. Sparks first moved to St Marys in the early 1890'she lived at
322 Emily St.

(Also see
Poetry of Thomas Sparks)

236 Jones Street, St Marys, Ontario