St Marys Century Houses Home Page

Widder Street

Church St   Jones St     King St   Ontario St   Peel St   Queen St East Queen St West Robinson St Thomas St   Water St   Wellington St Widder St

196 Widder Street E.
Frame house was built in 1873 by James Craig and James Hamilton and was the home of James Craig and his family until 1880.   Craig and Hamilton were carpenters and owned a planing mill, located near what is now the Creamery Restaurant.   In 1879 Craig and Hamilton did the carpentry at the Opera House and the Knox Presbyterian Church.

The veranda was probably added at the turn of the 20th century by its second owner, another carpenter named Michael Tevlin.

It was designated an Ontario Heritage Property Jan 26, 1983

196 Widder, St Marys, Ontario

David Maxwell Jr House

David Maxwell Showroom
183, 191 Widder Street E.
No. 183 on the left was built was built about 1915. No. 191 had been built 15 years earlier for David Maxwell Jr. whose father David Maxwell Sr lived next door at no. 197.

Maxwell Sr had moved his machinery manufacturing business from Paris, Ontario to a new factory he had built in St Marys in 1888. The firm Maxwell & Sons employed more than 100 and sold farm equipment across the country.   The Maxwell showroom was at 154 Queen Street East (above right, now Dunny's Source for Sports).   The factory on James St South was demolished in 1987.

249 Widder E, Thomas Fogg House
249 Widder Street E.
Built in 1879 for Thomas Fogg, manager for the Grand Trunk Railway.   It is one layer of brick over a frame construction.

261 Widder E, Frances McCraken House
261 Widder Street E.
This 1881 house was built for Frances McCraken, gentleman.
The walls are 3 bricks thick.
It was designated an Ontario Heritage Property Oct 13, 1987.